Thursday, November 6, 2014

1984

                             The book 1984 was written by a man named George Orwell who was scared of what his society and government would become after the end of world war 2.  This book has been banned in many New York City reading establishments for multiple reasons but some other people, like me have wondered why. adults have many different reasons to ban this book from school libraries although I agree with some of their points I still believe that they should not ban it. There are many reasons that I have this opinion but the main one is that if a child wants to find out about something enough they will figure out how to find out about it, and no adult can do anything about, so why try to stop them in the first place.
                            There are many valid reasons that adults may want to ban this book from schools around the city. One reason is that there are many different sexual concepts like prostitution which parents will not want their children exposed to at that age. Another example is that in the book there is a dictatorship where the dictator is corrupt and even in real life those usually end in disaster. Another reason is that the other political figures are just as corrupt as their leader and take advantage of less high ranking people and will do anything for power. A fourth example is that the main character isn't a hero but is just a rebel that will do anything for his cause even kill a child as stated in the book. A last example is that it relates strongly to what is happening in some countries today and that real people are going through what is happening in the book is sad to think about and hard to imagine.
                             There are also some reasons that I think it should not be banned. One example is that if a child is determined to find out the contents of the banned book it is nearly impossible for any adult to stop them. Also even if the child isn't interested in it at that time they still will find out about it eventually so why not now. I'm not saying that it isn't bad for a child to be exposed to bad concepts at a young age but if they do care then they will find out about it on their own. These are the reasons why I don't think the book 1984 should be banned.
                             These are some reasons that adults may want to ban the book 1984 by George Orwell, and some reasons why I don't think they should.

1 comment:

  1. I thought your essay was very well written. Your writing was more objective, which allowed the reader to come up with their own opinion. However, you showed your opinion in your introduction which made your claim clearer and stronger. Also, all of the examples you used were very thought provoking, such as the last example in the 2nd paragraph where you related 1984 government to struggling present day countries. All in all, I though it was a well structured response with a clear claim and evidence.

    ReplyDelete